Once diagnosed with cancer, the patient needs to plan his treatment meticulously. The doctor who has done diagnosis after several tests refer him to an oncologist who specializes in treating cancer ailments. Choosing an oncologist for advanced cancer treatment is not an uphill task as there are patients’ testimonials and reviews available about them on the internet.
It is important for the patient to feel comfortable with the oncologist’s expertise and approach before engaging him in the treatment. The best cancer specialist in India will work closely with the support staff and the patient’s family to provide him with the best care possible.
Listed below are some valuable tips to help you find an experienced and skilled oncologist:
- Your first effort has to be to search for an oncologist who treats the specific type of cancer that you have. Depending on your treatment plan, you may need the services of more than one type of oncologist
- Your next step is to find out if the hospital participates in your health insurance plan. Most insurance companies provide a comprehensive list of hospitals to their policyholders and you can also check with the hospital directly which insurance plans they accept.
- Find out from our family, friends, and acquaintances about the renowned oncologist who has treated a similar type of cancer. Their referral and assurance will help you to firm up your mind about consulting him for the treatment.
- Check the doctor’s credentials by gathering info about his medical degrees and if he has received any advanced training in the field of oncology. Confirm if he has passed high-level examinations and is certified by the board of oncology.
- Don’t be hesitant to ask about how long the doctor has been practicing oncology and how many patients he is treating every year. For rare types of cancer or special treatments, it may be important to find doctors who have related experience.
How to Reach Oncologist
- Find out if the oncologist has access to clinical trials and whether the hospital has enough support staff to attend to the patient including a registered nurse, counselor, nutritionist, pharmacist, and other oncology team members.
- Find out how to reach the oncologist doctor during off-hours, such as weekends and holidays. Check out the special services offered by the hospital for cancer patients.
- Arrange to meet the doctor and the support staff of the hospital who will be assigned for your treatment. It may help you get a sense of how the medical team will work together and if you will feel comfortable with your doctor and health care team. Make sure to clarify all your doubts by asking questions you have in mind about the treatment. Some of the important and specific questions may include:
- What are my treatment options?
- Which treatment is recommended and why?
- What’s the goal of the treatment?
- Side effects can I expect from the treatment?
- What will be the frequency of the treatment and how long it will last?
- What are the preparations required for the treatment?
If you are looking for the best cancer specialist in India, a detailed online search will give you the contacts of renowned oncologists in India.